A huge desire of Sole Hope from the beginning has been to help and not hurt through our actions in Africa. We know that a major part of the fight against jiggers is closed toe shoes. Early on we realized that the people of Uganda don’t need American’s used shoes or a handout of thousands of pairs of Chinese manufactured shoes to disrupt the local economy.
Our founder (and my beautiful wife) Asher had a vision of hiring and training local tailors and shoemakers to craft the shoes that that go on the children’s feet after foot-washing and jigger removal clinics. And the Sole Hope shoemaker model was born. The old “teach a man to fish” proverb.
It has been a learning experience and has taken on a few forms over the past years, but the program has grown into an amazing and vital part of our Uganda operations.
The Journey of a Sole Hope Shoe:
1. The shoe uppers are cut at Sole Hope Shoe Cutting Parties all over the United States, Canada, The UK, and even Australia. Generous people gather to learn about Sole Hope and cut the uppers from old jeans. We send everything you need to know to pull this off. The pieces are pinned together and sent to our U.S. office in NC.
2. The shoe uppers checked and sent to Uganda.
3. Sole Hope Tailors sew the uppers together to make the top of the shoe.
4. Sole Hope Shoemakers put the uppers on sizing shoe lasts and finish the shoe with elastic and tire soles.
6. The shoes are sized and put on the feet of children at foot-washing and jiger removal clinics and schools around the Busoga Region of Eastern Uganda.
We were so blessed to recently receive funding from The Weisberg Family Foundation that allowed us to purchase 2 industrial sewing machines and many new shoe lasts that will allow us to provide constant incomes for more tailors and shoemakers as well as increase the production of the shoes. For that we say THANK YOU!
Would you like to help us? If you live in the Palm Beach County Area consider attending one of our MONTHLY Shoe Cutting parties at the Weisberg Family Foundation Office in Palm Beach Gardens.
If you live outside of the Palm Beach County Area and would like to consider hosting a Shoe Cutting Party at your home or church please Click on the pic below for more information: